For many years, the Bank has been initiating and implementing social projects integrating business objectives with activities for all stakeholder groups. In accordance with the slogan of the current Strategy, the Bank develops relations with the community, actively performing activities for society and with its involvement. It supports educational, civic, cultural and charity events and projects. The bank is a socially responsible institution for which freedom and attachment to tradition are natural values. Therefore, it conducts activities that consolidate awareness and national identity, supporting the development of national heritage and popularizing the ideas of modern patriotism. The Bank implements this mission, among others, through sponsorship and patronage.
Structure of sponsorship budget
Both the Bank, as a part of its sponsoring activities, and Fundacja PKO Banku Polskiego (the Foundation), as a part of its charity activities, verify every partner and beneficiary of the support provided. No negative impact on the Bank’s image was identified in 2018 in these areas. Care for the rationality of the sponsorship and charity policies pursued is achieved through the synergy of activities. In the Foundation, the Programme Council consisting of representatives of the Bank takes care of this. The Bank and the Foundation implement projects jointly or separately in the most important programme areas in terms of image, such as culture, tradition, education and sport. Furthermore, the Foundation performs activities, the objectives of which are social welfare, protection of life and health and ecology. On the one hand, such a division of commitment to programme areas strengthens the Bank’s image-related benefits, while on the other, it broadens their range
a) Sponsorship activity
Sponsorship activities performed by the Bank have the objective of shaping the Bank’s image as a trustworthy, socially committed and modern financial institution, which is open to Customer needs. The Bank supports, among other things, cultural and educational institutions as a result of which they can develop and achieve their objectives.
An important aspect of the Bank’s sponsorship activities is its commitment to projects inspired by history, promoting a patriotic attitude and identity values. The Bank joins in and supports cultural events, such as exhibitions and concerts organized for anniversaries of important historical events or commemorating the achievements and attitudes of outstanding Poles.
Principles of sponsorship policy
The Bank’s sponsorship policy is governed by specific principles and a several-stage process of reviewing and accepting offers that are submitted. An important stage is its expert assessment, made on the basis of the following parameters:
- the importance of the project;
- the business (assessment for the ability to involve Customers and create a platform for building relations with stakeholders) and image potential;
- the sponsorship title offered;
- the credibility of the organizer, the business environment in which the Bank appears as a sponsor;
- the equivalence of sponsorship benefits in relation to the expected amount of support.
Offers that are accepted are sent to the Sponsorship Committee, which guarantees that the proposals under consideration will be considered factually and comprehensively.
In 2018, the Bank received 733 applications, of which 276 were accepted – both national and smaller – dedicated to local communities.
Examples of support in the main areas
- Business: support of business events (e.g.: Congress 590, Economic Forum in Krynica, European Financial Congress and Vision for Development Forum) as well as sectoral projects (e.g.: Retail Banking Congress, Top Industry Summit and Polska Chemia Congress), cooperation with the FinTech sector;
- Culture: cooperation with museums, philharmonic orchestras, operas, theatres and film festivals. Support of cultural events organized for anniversaries of important historical events, such as the adoption of the Constitution of 3 May, Warsaw Uprising or a 100thanniversary of regaining Independence;
- Sport: support for 34 events throughout Poland, development of the “PKO Bank Polski. Let’s Run Together” programme, running trainings as part of the “BiegamBoLubię” [IRunBecauseILikeTo] campaign on nearly a 100 athletic stadiums throughout Poland (53 000 participants), participation in 43 sporting events, support for Ekstraklasa [Top-League] (from July 2018) – long-term cooperation for the development of the league and young football talents.
Support of the Polish National Foundation (PFN)
The Bank is one of the founders of the Polish National Foundation (PFN), the mission of which is to “promote our successes in science, extensive culture, wonderful history and unique nature”. According to the PFN’s statutes, each of the founders was obliged to make contributions to the Foundation’s founding fund and make annual payments towards the organization’s activities for 10 years (starting from 2017).
b) Charity activities
Principles and objectives of the charity activities
The Foundation substantively and financially supports projects of importance to the development of Poland, implemented for and in consultation with the local communities, serving the purpose of building a civic society. The scope of the Foundation’s activities is specified in the Foundation’s Statutes, while the principles of cooperation between the Bank and the Foundation are governed by the agreement. Grants awarded by the Bank based on the resolutions of the Management Board constituted the main source of financing of the Foundation’s statutory objectives in 2018. Additionally, the Bank transfers to the Foundation a part of the profit generated in non-cash transactions in charity cards Inteligo Visa payWave: Dobro procentuje [Good pays dividends] (130 000 Customers of the Bank hold such cards). The support is designated to one of the four charity initiatives, selected by the Customer.
Structure of charity budget
In 2018, the Foundation received 889 applications for granting monetary donations for social activities. 336 projects were approved. The donation is transferred under a donation agreement concluded by and between the Foundation and the project partner.
The Foundation also transfers substantive donations to non-governmental organizations, in the form of IT hardware and furniture withdrawn from use from various banking units. In 2018, a substantive donation in the form of computers was provided to 7 organizations, while furniture was transferred to 41 beneficiaries.
Examples of support in the main areas
- Tradition: supporting initiatives that consolidate national awareness, support the development of national heritage and develop civic attitudes. The Foundation works, among others, with the Warsaw Uprising Museum, and is involved in helping the charges of the Warsaw Uprising Association.
- Education: cooperation, among others, with the Siemacha Association, the Youth Initiatives Foundation, the Polish Economic Society, the Museum of Józef Piłsudski in Sulejówek and the Academy of Modern Patriotism;
- Hope: help to people under threat of exclusion, victims and the disabled in cooperation with, among others, the Disabled Drivers Help Association “SPiNKa” and the Assembly of Care and Upbringing Centres “The Spring” (Krzydlina Mała).
The Foundation also implements its own projects, including:
- Integration Santa Claus Meetings for the charges of the care and upbringing centres and the children of the Bank’s employees (6 050 children took part in group Christmas fun in 2018 at 39 meetings in 24 towns in Poland.Gifts were also sent to 37 care and upbringing centres; the activities were supported by 65 volunteers);
- the Banking Honorary Blood Donation Campaign, the objective of which is to raise further generations of honorary blood donors (1776 people joined the campaign in 2018, thanks to whom nearly 800 litres of blood were provided to the needy);
- a charity running campaign “I am running for …”(56 events were organized in 2018 and 34,820 runners participated in them, collecting PLN 730k, from which 72 beneficiaries benefited, including 56 children and 16 adults.A total of 378 such events have been conducted since the start of the programme, i.e. since 2013, with over 158k people taking part, while the Foundation supported 428 beneficiaries with more the PLN 3.8mn).
- PKO Charity Run (6,500 people took part in the fourth Charity Run in 2018, including 4,220 adults and 2,280 children).The runners made the total of 34,796 laps. Thanks to them the Foundation designated PLN 705.9k for 16 organizations which fight against poverty among children and young pupils and students, and against malnutrition in this social group. Moreover, the supporters who were the best at cheering on their relay teams could choose an additional charity purpose for which the Foundation gave PLN 150k.
- The Bank’s Collection – as part of the programme promoting the works of young artists, the Foundation executes a number of actions aimed at supporting and promoting Polish modern art. It organizes and finances plein-air painting for arts schools and individual exhibitions for outstanding students. One of the special projects was a vernissage of a charge of the Warsaw Hospice for Children.
- Righteous among the Nations – disseminating an appeal addressed to the governments and parliaments of Poland and Israel through the Polish and foreign media in the context of the situation related to the Polish-Jewish dialogue with reference to our joint history and tradition. The project has been entered in the national heritage preservation.
- promoting historical truth – publishing the declaration of the prime ministers of Poland and Israel in a dozen or so titles of the international press, revealing their joint position concerning the tragic events of the World War II, in particular the Holocaust the sole perpetrator of which was the Nazi Germany. The purpose of the project is to popularize the historic truth and build the proper image of Poland in the world, which was began on publication of the Appeal of the Righteous Among the Nations
Involvement of the remaining entities from the Bank’s Group in pro-social activity
The Bank (within the scope of sponsorship activities) and the Foundation (within the scope of activities for public benefit) conduct pro-social activities on behalf of the remaining entities from the Bank’s Group. Applications for sponsorship and charity sent to companies are redirected to the Bank and the Foundation.
Moreover, in 2018, some of the subsidiaries carried out a dozen or so projects on their own initiative, which were addressed to the local communities. PKO Leasing SA when executing an authorial programme “We can do more together, not only in business” in which the company’s employees participate, mainly provided financial support and organized picnics and educational campaigns for children from care and upbringing centres and the campaign 5+ for children starting education. The Centrum Haffnera sp. z o.o. Group was involved in 2018 in helping families, organizing events for children, helping older people and supporting animal shelters. KREDOBANK SA conducts its own pro-social activities focusing on the following objectives:
- creating an image of the representative of the Capital Group of the largest Polish bank (diplomatic Christmas Fair in Odessa, IWCK “Charity Bazaar” organized by the Consulate of the Republic of Poland in Kiev);
- support of the Ukrainian culture and spirituality (“Music in Old Lviv” festival);
- support of initiatives in the areas of healthcare, education and sport (Jarmark Kariery [Careers Fair] addressed to students, purchase of equipment for intensive therapy of infants for a hospital).
Development of volunteer work
The Foundation encourages the employees of all the Bank’s Group entities to become involved in work for local communities.The involvement of the employees in charity activities is steadily increasing (1442 registered volunteers at the end of 2018, i.e. 77 more than a year before). Volunteers not only join the projects initiated by the Foundation, but often initiate them themselves.
In March 2018, a charity collection “Polacy Kresowym Straceńcom” was organized for the benefit of our compatriots living in Polish former Eastern Territories (in Lithuania, Belarus and Ukraine) – collection of food products with long shelf life, school articles for children and patriotic and national symbols (used during the celebrations of the 100thanniversary of regaining Independence by Poland).
Since 2017, an authorial project of the Foundation “Busola na start” [Compass for a start] has been in operation. Due to the need to provide systemic aid to foster care wards in the process of their professional stimulation, the Bank offers a possibility to them of apprenticeship/internship with an opportunity of obtaining long-term employment. The professional guardians (the Bank’s employees) not only care for the professional development of the young people but are also their guardians/mentors in the process of gaining practical life skills. Each of the guardians is at the same time a volunteer.
In 2018, the campaign “PKO to the Heroes” was continued. This is a campaign addressed to persons who rendered service to our country – those who fought in the Warsaw Uprising and veterans. The volunteers were involved, for example, in renovating an apartment and providing the necessary household equipment.